Beet Berry Smoothie Bowl
When it comes to smoothies I’ve disciplined myself to always put in more veg than fruit, or at least more veg than I think I want to eat! I’ve got a sweet tooth so a smoothie full of fruit would probably suit me fine, but I’ve found that theres a delicious balance in a smoothie which isn’t too shy on the veg. I’ve come across many “beet smoothies” which apparently only call for 1 beet, or half a beet and the rest of the smoothie is a plethora of fruit. This seems a bit sheepish to me!
If you are keen to smuggle in your veggie quota via a smoothie, I find that if you keep the ingredients fairly simple and complimentary you can always pack in more veg than you think without loosing the sweet fruity taste. I personally don’t mind slightly more earthy tasting smoothies nowadays but for those trying out the idea of packing in a few extra veggies this is a great smoothie bowl to go for. It packs in four beets rather than a meagre 1 or 2 and it still maintains an amazingly sweet and fruity taste!
- 4 Small Beets
- 150g Frozen Mixed Berries (Mine were a mix of Blackberries, Cherries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Redcurrants and Blackcurrants)
- 1 Large Orange
- Coconut Flakes
- Fresh Pomegranate Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- More Berries!
- Chop the stalks and skin off the beets and peel the orange.
- Place the beets, peeled orange and the frozen berries in a high speed blender and blend until smooth (This may take some time so be patient)
- If your blender is not very strong just add a little water to get the mixture moving a bit easier
- Once smooth, pour into your favourite bowl and sprinkle with the suggested toppings or create some topping combos of your own!