Courgette Fritters with Avocado Aioli
These courgette fritters are a real treat and despite their healthy status they have a comforting junk-food aura to them, in a good way of course! The avocado aioli is a creamy, garlicky dream and once you have the recipe down you will no doubt be using it to dip all kinds of things into or to slather onto veggie burgers and such. Who needs mayo when you have avocados right!?
These fritters can be prepared in advance and then kept in the fridge for the day until you are ready to cook them. Serve this combo up as an appetiser or even as buffet food at a party. They also make a great side dish or tapas style option. The possibilities are endless!
- 450g courgette (approx 4 small/2 large courgettes)
- 1 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 100g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2 Avocados
- 1 dessert spoon (10ml) of tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel the skin off and then shred the courgette with a slicer or in a food processor, you ideally want thin, short shreds
- Put the shredded courgette into a colander and sprinkle with salt, squeeze out any excess moisture and leave to drain for as long as possible (at least 30mins but a few hours is better), squeeze out moisture again after draining. Use paper towel to soak up and squeeze out the moisture if necessary.
- Put the courgette in a bowl with the onion, garlic and black pepper
- In a separate bowl, sieve the flour and mix it with the baking powder
- Combine the flour and baking powder mixture with the courgette mixture
- Roll into small balls and flatten into fritter shapes
- Add a dash of oil to a skillet and heat. Add the fritters and fry on a low/medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until cooked through and crispy on the outside.
- Serve with avocado aioli (see below)
- Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process on high until a thick creamy consistency is achieved