Creamy Asparagus Soup
As soon as Autumn kicks in I go into soup mode. Theres something about the warming, gastronomical hug from a bowl of soup that can cheer up even the rainiest afternoon. This asparagus soup is comfortingly creamy despite its lack of any dairy products.
- 1 Large White Onion
- 500g Asparagus Spears
- 500ml Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tbsp Oil
- 1 can of Coconut Milk (between 300-400ml depending how creamy you want it)
- Dice the onion and place into a large saucepan with the oil
- Gently heat the onion on a low-medium heat until soft and more transparent.
- Chop the asparagus into small chunks and add to the pan along with the vegetable stock
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15minutes or until your asparagus spears are softened (if your spears are the very thin variety this cooking time can be reduced, simply prod your spears with a fork to check for softness)
- Stir in the can of coconut milk and allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and using a handheld blender blend the mixture into a smooth soup consistency
- Serve hot with some warmed crusty bread!
If you don't have a handheld blender and want to use your countertop blender, simply wait for the soup to cool down to room temperature and then blend in your blender. You can then reheat the soup in the pan for a few minutes before serving