Kale and Mushroom Lasagna
Lasagna is one of those classic dishes that almost everybody enjoys, myself and Garfield included. I’ve had vegan lasagnas in the past that were very tasty, but were not exactly mimicking the flavours of a traditional lasagna very much. I wanted to create a lasagna that had the same tomatoey meatiness and the same creamy, gooey, cheesiness as a traditional lasagna. THIS….THIS!!! Is what I came up with and I was thoroughly impressed with myself *smirk*.
Mushrooms are always a failsafe meat subsitute and the creamy vegan white sauce tastes so much like ‘the real thing’ you can serve this up to meat-eaters and sit smugly as they finish every last bite and then ask for seconds.
- A packet of lasagna sheets (the amount of sheets you use will depend on the size of your lasagna sheets and the size of the baking dish you use so have plenty ready)
- A tbsp cooking oil of your choice
- 200g Kale (large/thick stalks removed)
- 460g Mushrooms
- 4 Small-Medium Garlic Cloves
- 2 Cans Chopped Tomatoes (400g each can)
- 1tbsp Tamari
- 1tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Low Salt Stock Cube
- 200g Cashews (soaked for at least one hour)
- 3 Sundried Tomatoes
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1tsp Salt (preferably pink himalayan salt)
- 1/4 Cup Almond Milk
- 200ml Water
- Finely chop two of the garlic cloves and place in a saute pan with the oil and heat gently on a low heat for a minute
- Thickly slice the mushrooms and add them to the saute pan along with the kale, heat gently for 5 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tamari, tomato puree and 1/2 of the stock cube and mix well using a wooden spoon. Make sure all of the stock cube is mixed in and dissolved in the mixture
- Cover and heat for 10-12 minutes
- Boil the 200ml of water and mix into a stock using the remaining half of the stock cube
- Allow the stock to cool slightly and then place into a blender with the lemon juice, the remaining two garlic cloves, nutritional yeast, the soaked and drained cashews, salt, almond milk and sundried tomatoes
- Blend on high until you reach a smooth, thick and creamy consistency
- Take a baking dish and place a layer of the kale and mushroom mixture onto the bottom of the dish, don't spread the layers too thick, cover with a layer of lasagna pasta
- You can alternate your layers from this point however you want but this is how I do mine...
- Then place another layer of the kale and mushroom mix, followed by a layer of the white sauce, then another layer of pasta, continue with another layer of kale and mushroom mix followed by the white sauce and then a layer of pasta, and top off with a single layer of white sauce over your final pasta layer at the end
- Place into the oven on 180c and bake for 45 minutes
- Check the pasta is cooked throughout by poking it through with a skewer and checking it is soft and the skewer is hot when removed
- Serve and enjoy!