Loaded Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
As vegan comfort food goes, you can not beat a good ol’ potato, particularly the sweet potato variety! Sweet potato fries, baked sweet potato, sweet potato wedges, carb. me. up! This recipe is A+ vegan comfort food! The sweetness of the potato, the creamy avocado, the spicy queso sauce, the fresh chives, the zingy onion. Serve this up to anyone who says that vegans only eat salad and watch them promptly eat their words and their sweet potato in approx 5 seconds!
- 3 Medium/Large Sweet Potatoes
- 2Tbsp Olive Oil
- Juice from 1/2 Lime
- 1/2Tsp Salt
- A small handful of Fresh Coriander (approx 10 sprigs)
- A large pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 A Red Onion
- 1 Avocado
- 3Tbsp Fresh Chives (chopped)
- 1 Cup Cashew Nuts
- 1 Cup Red Pepper
- 1Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2Tsp Onion Powder
- 2Tsp Salt
- 1Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Water
- A squeeze of Lemon Juice
- 1/3 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 4Tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 220c
- Slice slits in the sweet potatoes approx 1/2cm apart. Be careful to only slice about 2/3 of the way down the potato as you don’t want to accidentally slice the potato in half!
- Chop the fresh coriander and mix it together in a bowl with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Coat the potatoes thoroughly in the mixture and place them on an aluminium foil lined baking tray and place them in the middle of the preheated oven
- Cook for around 40-50mins until just about cooked
- Slice the avocado and red onion into slithers/very thin slices. Place the avocado and red onion into alternating slits in the potatoes (you can skip the small slits at the very ends of the potatoes and start a few slits in.) You can add a few slices of avocado or red onion to each slit but don’t overstuff as you may tear the potato.
- If needed rub a little extra oil over the potatoes. Then cover the potatoes with foil and place back into the oven for 10-12mins.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with the queso sauce (see below for sauce) and the fresh chives.
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until a smooth consistency is achieved.