Vegan Macaroni Cheese
If you haven’t realised by now, I’m a huge lover of ‘comfort food’. I think it’s ideal to eat as healthily as possible as often as possible but there are those occasions when you just crave something comforting and rich, like my all time fave comfort dish, macaroni cheese! And although this recipe isn’t exactly winning awards for it’s nutritional value, it is certainly not as bad as a standard mac and real cheese recipe.
You can enjoy this as a side dish but I usually just scoff a massive bowlful of this as a main meal. It has all of the rich and creamy notes that you expect from the dairy-laden original but without the moral burden woohoo!
Whenever I am feeling lazy/lonely/hormonal/ravenously hungry/in need of a massive bowl of mac and cheese to eat until I feel like i will explode…I make this recipe. I could probably make it with my eyes shut…and I should probably re-evaluate some things in my life… Anyways, I’m now sharing this culinary crack with you guys YAY! Be warned, it is deliciously addictive!
- 1 Tbsp Vegan 'butter' or an Oil of your choice
- 1 Tbsp Gluten Free Plain White Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt (preferably pink himalayan)
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 200ml Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 200g Macaroni (GF if needed)
- Cook the macaroni as per instructions (usually boil for 7-10mins)
- Whilst the macaroni is cooking melt the butter or heat the oil in a saucepan
- Put all of the dry ingredients except the nutritional yeast into a bowl and mix together, then add the dry mixture to the oil or melted butter
- Whisk to form a paste and then add the milk and continue to whisk over a medium heat until all lumps are gone
- Add in the nutritional yeast and continue to whisk on a medium heat until smooth again
- Add the dijon mustard and depending on preferred consistency you may want to add a bit more milk
- Continue to whisk and heat over a medium heat for a few more minutes until you have a smooth sauce which is hot throughout
- When the pasta is cooked drain it and add it to the sauce. Stir to combine, heat through together for 30seconds and then serve